This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

evaluating InstallShield MP

2 replies to this topic

mclee

mclee
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 01:00

I'm currently evaluating an installation product that allows me to use in a multiplatform environment.  I have came across only two products that does this -- ismp (InstallShield MultiPlatform) and InstallAnywhere.  

Any opinions on the pros and cons of using them?  Any opinions on whether these softwares are ready for prime time?

any comments are much appreciated!  thanks.

--Michele

CMartin

CMartin
  • Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 09:22

Hallo,
I need informations about Multiplatform Installation, too.

Chris

P.S.: I've the same problem (Get informations about ISMP)

Jaytee

Jaytee
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 17:46

A few weeks ago I wrote a doc called InstallAnywhere (IA) 5 vs InstallShield Multiplatform (ISMP) 4.5.  (Sorry cant share that doc, Zero G and Installshield asked to look at it :p , but my manager doesnt want me to release it) Here is a brief overview of the differences I found.

I chose IA for the two reasons below:

1)  IA can assign rules/conditions at the file level or to console panels, ISMP cant do this.  ISMP can assign at the component level which is normally a grouping of files and dirs.  You can assign a single file to a component but if you have a lot of them, the file manager UI will be a absolute mess.
 2)  IA also treats GUI panels and Console panels seperate with ISMP they are the same.  This is good and saves time if your panels are identical per UI, but if you have UI specific conditions you want to apply then would be tough to do in ISMP.

Other factors that may sway you towards one over the other:

ISMP has a better API.
 IA has a better UI.
 ISMP can do media spanning, IA cannot.
 IA do file modification time stamping, ISMP cannot.
 ISMP can specify file as being text or binary, IA cannot.  
 IA can update ascii files within a compress file, ISMP cannot.
 ISMP has better unix native install registration.
 ISMP has slightly better support from my experience.
 Suite support (merge modules) and silent installs are pretty much implemented the same.

Hope that helps.
Jack