This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

UAC error : Maintenace mode

3 replies to this topic

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:42

Hi
We have a app.msi file. There is no Setup.exe associated with msi.

The msi file is launched from custom executable with msiexec /i command.
The custom executable has manifest file embedded into it. When launched from vista machine which has the UAC enabled, our custom executable gets the consent from the user and launches the msi in elevated mode and this is working perfectly till now.

NOW WHEN THE USER TRIES TO LAUNCH MAINTENANCE MODE FROM ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, the first CA which is scheduled just after cost finalize in UI sequence is failing with error code 1721 with return value of 3.

This is pretty much straight forward as msi when launched from ARP will not run with elevated privileges and the CA is failing.

Is there a way when the installer is launched from Add/Remove programs, it should get the consent and launch the msi with elevated privileges ?

It has to be a msi file and our custom executable must launch it.

Please provide me the possible solutions.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 15:10

I suppose the first question is, why does the CA have to run in maintenance mode? I can't recall a single package I've done which needed a CA to be run at that time.

Edited by VBScab, 20 July 2010 - 15:12.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 15:17

Thanks for your kind reply.

In maintenance mode, we can add new feature and in that case, we might have to run the CA related to that feature which will not be run earlier.

I hope i have answered it.
Please let me know if there is other way around.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 16:49

Firstly, the CA shouldn't be in the UI sequence in any event, since it would never run in a silent install.

Secondly, since it makes changes to the system, it should be in the deferred sequence. Once there, you can set it to run in the System context. If it requires property values, you'll need to pass them in the usual way, using the special CustomActionData property.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.