This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Automation of Basic MSI-Project

4 replies to this topic

Stefan Sturm

Stefan Sturm
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 13:05

Hi,
I like to check the content (features, components....) of a MSI database (Basic MSI project) and modify it.
Is this only possible through the Microsoft MSI automation interface, or is there any support from IS DEV 7 on a higher level?
Looking into the online help I can find the IS DEV 7 interface for standard projects only (not for Basic MSI).

Any idea?

Thanks Stefan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 22:22

Are you talking about the .ism (InstallShield project file) or the .msi (the generated setup)? In the first case InstallShield's automation interface should work, in the latter case you should use the MSI API.

Stefan Sturm

Stefan Sturm
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2001 - 07:39

I'm talking about the .msi. Using the MSI API seems to be very painfull, with views based on sql statements and looping through record objects. Is there really no other way?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2001 - 08:35

MSI is a database, so SQL is what you would expect...
There is a two way MSI <-> XML converter (referenced here under Windows Installer -> Tools & Tips). Maybe you find that easier?

Stefan Sturm

Stefan Sturm
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2001 - 09:13

O.K., no problem using sql or Xpath for the xml. I just thuoght there might be an object modl for accessing the features, components etc. like there is for the IS project.

Another question: IS there any support for changing source files in a cabinet file?

Thanks