This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Recursive Module Dependencies

1 reply to this topic

Frank Horn

Frank Horn
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:35

Hello everybody,

I'm getting confused:
is it okay to design merge modules with a deep dependency structure (like module3 depending on module2 which again depends on module1)? It seems natural to me, but in a setup project with different features I would need a consistent merging.

Example: feature1 needs module1, feature2 needs feature1 and module2, feature3 needs feature2 and module3. So if the the modules contain COM servers, I need the classes from module1 to be registered with feature1, the classes from module2 with feature2 a.s.o.

Does this make sense? I'm asking because InstallShield Developer 7.04 doesn't merge them this way but writes feature3 into the Class table for all the classes of all the modules, probably because module3 recursively depends on all other modules.

So someone (either InstallShield or me) is misunderstanding the meaning of merge module dependencies, and I'd very much appreciate comments from you msi and merge modules experts out there.

Thanks in advance
Frank

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 16:28

Attaching COM components to more than one feature is a problem, as you already found out. I don't have a solution unfortunately.