This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ISWI 2.3 to IS 11 migration issue

2 replies to this topic

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 20:23

Hello again everyone,

After a two year absence from InstallShield responsibilities, I am back in the "installation packaging" business.

One of the first things I have been doing is learning about MSI "stuff".
(I used to do everything via "InstallScript".)

Another goal I have, is to acquire a "more recent" version of an InstallShield product and then, stay current as new releases and fixes are made available.

Recently, I downloaded an evaluation copy of IS professional 11.

Recently, I inherited 10 or so MSI's done with InstallShield's Windows Installer version 2.3.

When I open one of these projects using IS 11, IS 11 informs me that it needs to migrate the projects into the IS11 format.

The migrations went flawlessly.

However, when running any of the newly migrated and rebuilt projects I receive a dialog box early in the script with the following information.

"Can not load the InstallShield ikernel file."

Error: "1: Failed to install ISKernal Files. Make sure you have appropriate privileges on this machine"

The IS help desk folks told me ......

The newly migrated and re-built scripts were, for some reason, trying the load the ISWI 2.3 engine instead of the IS11 engine.

The IS 11 engine is named something different thn "ISKernal".

The problem had been replicated at IS.

The problem was due to a "bug" (their words not mine) in their code.

There is currently no work around for this problem.

IS would add this issue their "list of things" that need to be fixed.

No eta was available for any fix.

Now for my questions issue and questions.

I DON'T want to wait until IS gets around to fixing this issue, if at all possible.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might want to try, in order to migrating my ISWI 2.3 projects to IS11 ?

IE:
Migrate from 2.3 to 11
Export "something" from the newly migrated project.
Then, import this "something" into a "NEW" is 11 project.
Re-buid it and see if it works.

Does this make any sense ?

Any other ideas that I might pursue ?

Thanks in advance.

Ray in Wisconsin

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:14

Hi,

Did the tech support team of IS tell you that there is a bug in migrating from ISWI 2.3 to IS 11, or from ISWI 2.3 to ANY newer version of IS product?

If the first option is the true, then I would suggest migrating the ISWI 2.3 project to some other version of IS product which is not version 11 (e.g. Developer 8) and then again migrate to IS 11 (migration from Developer 8 to IS 11 works fine, at least for all my projects).

Igal

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 14:02

Good Tuesday morning Elliot,

First, thanks for the reply.

Your questions and suggestion, makes sense.

I didn't think to ask the question, but I will later today.

Thanks again.