This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI and Windows File Protection madness!

1 reply to this topic

ZK

ZK
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 17:58

Hi

I have used InstallShield to package Service Pack 2 for Internet Explorer 5.5. I did this in the following way:

I made a pre-scan of the PC (which has IE 5.5 Service Pack 1) using InstallShield. Then I installed IE Service Pack 2 from the CD. Then I made a post-scan of the PC, and the changes were packaged as an MSI file. So this MSI is effectively IE 5.5 Service Pack 2.

However, when I run the MSI to update IE 5.5 to Service Pack 2, Windows File Protection says I cannot update protection system files and asks for Windows 2000 CD.

The annoying thing is, why didn't WFP give this error when I ran the install from the CD in between the scans?

Any help appreciated
Thanks
ZK

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 21:57

"The application must not attempt to replace any files that are protected by Windows File Protection (WFP). ... These files can only be updated through service packs, operating system upgrades, Quick Fix Engineering (QFE) hot-fixes, and Windows Update. Applications cannot replace them, and attempting to replace these files by any means other than those listed above will result in the files being restored by the Windows File Protection feature ... If the application requires newer versions of these components, it must update these components by using a Microsoft Service Pack that installs the required versions." (quote from Microsoft)