This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

newbie ? unintended forced reboot during install

2 replies to this topic

bilandra

bilandra
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:34

Hi,
I have very little experience with InstallShield, and I've basically been trained to take over a guy's job at work in about 3 days...so forgive me if the answer to this question is common sense to developers. smile.gif
The installer I'm building is in InstallShield 12, and it's a basic MSI project. So the installer has 2 server-based prqs, and it downloads and installs the first correctly. It downloads the second, and in the middle of installing it, reboots the system. But it only does that on XP, not on Win7. When it reboots, the installer shows that installation as pending, and when the user selects Install, it proceeds to correctly install that second prq, and goes on to install what's included in the actual installer. And for whatever reason, on the Win7, it runs through the entire installer just fine.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just even an idea as to where I should start looking. smile.gif
Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:39

Maybe the prerequisite does require a reboot in the middle, but not on Win7?
You can check the prerequisite settings, the command line it executes (does it include a switch to supress the reboot?). And you should check the redistributable's documentation to see whether the reboot is required or can be postponed.

bilandra

bilandra
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:23

thanks, stefan. the command line in the PRQs was /s /v" /qn". i changed it to /s /v "/qn /norestart" and that seemed to fix the problem. it was really weird though because it would only reboot on XP, not Win7 or Vista, and only as an update, not during a fresh install. thanks again for your help.