This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ISScript.msi issue

4 replies to this topic

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 16:43

Good morning everyone.

Currently, the organization I work for, uses IS Windows Installer 2.3 to create installation for a number of products.

I create an MSI file(NOT an executable) and then ship it out to various users.

For the most part, this works pretty darn well.

Recently, I acquired an eval copy of IS 11 Professional.

I was able to successfully migrate one of my ISWI 2.3 ism's.

I created a MSI just like I did with ISWI 2.3.

However, when I run this MSI on a newly build XP Sp2 box (All of the MS applications installed),

I receive a dialog box which says the Install Script engine is missing from this machine.
Along with a suggestion to run ISScript.msi.

So, I then "rebuild" another version of the installation program only this time, creating an executable ("NOT" and MSI) and everything seems to work fine when I run the executable.

I then re-run the MSI on the same XP box after the executable was run, and that runs fine. (The Install Script engine missing message is no longer displayed.)

I then rebuild the destination PC with XP Sp2 along with the full complement of Microsoft products.
Run the "MSI"(NOT the executable.) and once again, I get the Install Script Engine missing message.

Clearly, the executable is determining the Install Script engine is missing and then installs it.

My dilemma, is that all of the customers that receive our applications are expecting an MSI NOT an executable.

I didn't need to create an executable with ISWI 2.3.

Is there any way to get around creating an executable with IS 11 ?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Ray in Wisconsin

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 18:47

What project type does it list in the caption bar of the InstallShield IDE? It should be "Basic MSI" not "InstallScript MSI".

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 20:47

Afternoon,

BASIC.

I THINK I have a solution.

How does this sound ?

I just this moment noticed a merge module named "InstallShiled Scripting Engine 11.0".

I'm gonna try adding that merge module into my project then building and MSI.

Sound reasonable ?

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 16:03

Good Wednesday morning,

Sure enough.

The solution to my issue was to include the merge module named "InstallShield Scripting Engine 11.0" in my project.
(Installation design view \ Application Data \ Redistributables)

The above allows me to create and distribute an MSI instead of an executable.

One piece of information that might be helpful to others ......
(Or maybe not ...)

It appears to me that most of the merge modules that come with InstallShield 11 are found in the following folder.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules

The "InstallShield Scripting Engine 11.0" merge module however, is found in the following folder.
C:\Program Files\InstallShield 11\Modules\i386

I added paths to both of these folders via the "Tools" \ "Options" \ Merge Modules tab.

Thanks to everyone.

Take care.

Ray in Wisconsin

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 20:02

In a Basic MSI project, if you did not add any custom actions written in InstallScript, you shouldn't need the InstallScript engine.