This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Calling C# dlls from CAs

2 replies to this topic

Murali

Murali
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 07:00

Is it possible to call C# dlls from CAs written in ISWI 2.03 or Developer 7.02? I have both softwares but I'm not sure whether it's possible to call C# dlls from these. The .Net framework and CLR are already available in the target machine.
If yes, what Custom Action Type to be used?
Any restriction on the calling convention and input/output parameters on C# dlls?
How to call it?

Martin Bohring

Martin Bohring
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 11:33

It is possible to call C# via COM, if you create a type lib
wrapper around your c# classes (Can be done automatic)

You can call COM objects via InstallScript or VBScript, so you can call your C# code.

If this is really the way to go, I don't know, bud that's what I would try

Murali

Murali
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 11:54

Thanks for your time and response Martin.

But I don't want to use VBScript or any script, for that matter. I want to make a direct call from the custom action as we do with C++ dlls.

I found the following in the InstallShield website for Developer 7.02 :-
-- Complete Support for .NET "Custom Actions" - ...
... Developers can author their custom actions in the same .NET language used to write the application, eliminating the need to learn a new language....

This looks like it's very much possible to call C# dlls from Custom Actions without any intermediate wrapper. I'm very much excited about this feature and very eager to know more on this.

Any ideas...