This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installing a windows service

4 replies to this topic

asmotritsky

asmotritsky
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:33

i've written a windows service in native c++ and i have console apps that install and uninstall it. My understanding is that windows installer supports the installation and uninstallation of windows services so i'm looking for documentation on this -- haven't found it on the web or in the sdk yet, i have a book on order but i'm impatient, would appreciate some pointers.

thanks

asmotritsky

asmotritsky
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:58

ServiceInstall table yay!!!

cpenkin

cpenkin
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:32

Hi asmotritsky,

I am using Dev Studio 9 and for the life of me cannot find the ServiceInstall table??? Can you point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

asmotritsky

asmotritsky
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:08

i'm not familiar with the tool you're using, i'm using orca which is free with the windows installer sdk, it comes as an msi file you have to install. there are 2 msi files in addition to that which microsoft provides to help get you started. one of them is a blank schema, the other is uisample.msi. if you open up one of these with orca, the serviceInstall table will be in the table list. i assume the same would be the case if you open them up with your tool. my guess would be that the default msi file generated by your tool may not include a serviceInstall table.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 17:36

You can find the ServiceInstall table (and all other MSI tables) in the direct editor.
However I would recommend this: go to the component view and click on the component that inlcudes your service file. Expand the component settings tree. Expand the Advanced part of that tree. Yu'll find views for ServiceInstall and ServiceControl.