This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Defining Registration Order in MergeModules

2 replies to this topic

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:25

Hi folks,

we are using Wise 7 for our deploying projects. In one mergemodule, I want to define how several dlls are registered, especially in which order this should happen.

WISE though shows the according dialog, but it takes no effect whatever order we define - the wise help says that this functionality is not available within merge modules.

Is there any possibility to force windows installer to register dlls in a specific order within msms?

Thank you very much,
Torben

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 14:22

I don't believe there is. How are you registering the items? If you add the registration items to the msi tables, rather than using self-registration, you shouldn't have to be concerned with the order they are registered in.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 18:41

QUOTE (KathyMorey @ 2008-05-21 13:22)
If you add the registration items to the msi tables, rather than using self-registration, you shouldn't have to be concerned with the order they are registered in.

Hi Kathy,

yes,
this is the way we do it right now. Our task is not a standard one, but well.

I'll try to explain, but I'm not the developer of this stuff, so please forgive me if this is wrong.

We have one specific dll which manages a certain database access just under the framework 2.0. But, unfortunately, we delivered a former version of our tool which uses the framework 1.1. Due to some circumstances, which are not really clear for me, we now need our tool to be able to handl both accesses.

So we have now two dlls with nearly the same signatures, the same class id, the same version. In the registry we need directly under the specific InProc-tree, the 2.0 dll. Below, both of them, just like that:

Inproc: default .NET 2.0
-> AssemblyVersion1: .NET 1.1
-> AssemblyVersion2: .NET 2.0

Because the last wins, it is not clear which assemly will be registered as default, thats why we need an order.

Fortunately it was possible to freeze the 1.1 dll (so we avoided the same version number), so that we've been able to add it's registration entries manually, so just:

-> AssemblyVersion1: .NET 1.1

Though this means that we have to update the setup each time the specific 1.1 dll was changed, but this should not happen very often :-)

Best regards and thank you very much,
Torben