This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action in Windows Vista elivated

1 reply to this topic

Bill666

Bill666
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:16

I have a custom action which requires elivated privliges. It installs drivers and has lots of c++ code.

I have 2 packages one with a setup launcher (setup.exe) and one with out.
Other than that, they are the same.

The setup exe works and the other one fails.

If I launch the MSI from a exe, which has elivated privliages, it works.

I have tried changing the custom action from Immedate to defered, defered in system contex, commit execution , etc

I have upgrading from IS 10.5 to 12 and changing the required execution level to Administrator.

There has to be a simple solution to this, a formula to make this work or do we need to use a set up launcher anytime we need elivated privliages?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:20

Deferred in system context is the right thing to do. How does it fail in this case? Do you get a UAC elevation prompt, and when?
If you start the setup from the .msi file (no setup.exe) you should get the UAC prompt when your setup switches to the execution phase.
How did you specify the required privilege level in the summary information of your project?