This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to add new files using patch wizard

8 replies to this topic

ringoSF

ringoSF
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2001 - 23:40

I added a new subfeature contains 2 new files to a existing project.   Somehow, I don't see those new files after I run the patch wizard.  As result, I cannot add those files when I run the patch created by the wizard.  does anyone know if patch wizard is only for modify the existing files, not for adding additional files?  If that's the case, please let me know how to add additional files for a patch; if it's not the case, please let me know whay I did wrong.  Thank you very much for your help.

p.s.( I am using window installer version 2.01)

(Edited by ringoSF at 12:16 am on Sep. 25, 2001)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2001 - 18:26

You have to use AddLocal events or set the ADDLOCAL property to add the new feature. You can find some information about this here on InstallSite in the Updates and Patches section on the Windows Installer tips page. If you used IPWI 2.03 the patch wizard would take care of this.

ringoSF

ringoSF
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2001 - 23:52

Thank you Stefan for your reply.  I updated my installer to the version 2.03 as mentioned by you.   I ran the patch wizard again and created a update.exe file to apply my patch.  I have following problems:

1.) I have added a subfeature with 2 new file called new_file1.dll and new_file2.exe.  when I looked at the log file generated by patch wizard, it has following error messages:
        Patch API could not create a small patch; using whole upgraded file.
 Including entire file: 'D:\upgrade\.\NewSubFeature ew_file1.dll ';
          FTK=F86003_new_file1.dll ;  temp location=Family00\01018.FLE.

Patch API could not create a small patch; using whole upgraded file.
 Including entire file: 'D:\upgrade\.\NewSubFeature ew_file2.exe ';
          FTK=F86004_new_file2.exe ;  temp location=Family00\01019.FLE.

The patch wizard only generated 3 files: update.exe, my.log, and mypatch.pcp. I thought it should also create a folder with new files since each time when I do a build, the build created folders with all the files in it. I don't know why patch wizard didn't created such folder. is the new files are stored in update.exe??   if not, how update.exe know where to retrieve the new files.  Also I got those error messages for some files in the previous MSI package as well, I don't why that is the case since I didn't remove any files from the project.

2.) when I ran the patch(ran update.exe), I got an error message, says "Internal Error 2727. Dir30", I could not figure out what is the problem.  

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. I am using WIS 2.03.  
    I have a MSI package of the version 1.0
    For creating a patch, I changed the package code, added a subfeature with 2 files, built the project to created a new .msi file, then ran the patch wizard.

(Edited by ringoSF at 11:53 pm on Sep. 25, 2001)

(Edited by ringoSF at 11:54 pm on Sep. 25, 2001)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 07:50

These are not error messages, just notes. It means that the patch wizard was unable to create a binary patch (i.e. include only changed bits of a file in the patch). This makes sense since the files didn't exist before. This can also happen for other files (especially for small files) because the binary patch may actually be larger than the whole file.
The new files are included in update.exe. This is the only file you need to send to your customers. The pcp file stores your settings in the patch wizard, it's the patch project file.
Each time you change files, you must build an MSI for the new versions, then run the patch wizard to create a new update.exe. A patch is always created as difference between two msi files.

Note sure why you get error 2727. Did you delete a component or change the destination for a component? Look at the new msi file with orca to see where Dir30 is pointing to and which component uses it.

ringoSF

ringoSF
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2001 - 01:10

thank you for your help Stefan.
I tried install new files 3 different ways:

1.) add the new files to a existing component ( it worked)

2.) add a new component to a existing feature( it didn't work, no new file was installed)

3.) add a new subfeature to a existing feature( it didn't work and generated internal error 2727.  I guess that is becasue in the orignal package, I set the install path using api MsiSetTargetPath().  Not sure that is the case or not.   I looked at Dir30 using orca, it shows following

Directory         Director_Parent            DefaultDir
-------------       -----------------------          ---------------
Dir30                  Dir29                              Bin

Dir29                 INSTALLDIR                  Default

I added a custome action before PathWelcome Dialogbox pop up to set the INSTALLDIR, it didn't work.  please let me know, what I am doing wrong here.   Thank you very much for you help.

-Regard

(Edited by ringoSF at 1:12 am on Sep. 27, 2001)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 September 2001 - 22:27

2) is not supposed to work. You can't add a new component to an existing feature, unless you are using the MSI 2.0 runtime.

ringoSF

ringoSF
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 22:37

thank you very much for your help Stefan.  It seems that subfeature can only be added to a feature, which does not has any components, otherwise an internal error 2727 is generated.   I tried that,  patch wizard created the file update.exe, i ran it.  It did not install the subfeature, however it did modify database of orginial package.  So, from control panel, I run the setup.exe again using modify option, choose newly added feature to install it.  

-Regards

teligaurav

teligaurav
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:47

You can add new files

by adding that files along with existing components

but we will lose one very good feature

after installing that patch we have no way to uninstall it individually.

i want help

is there some way ?

pls. reply soon

Edited by teligaurav, 12 January 2009 - 10:15.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:06

IMV, adding new files, especially into a new feature or sub-feature, means you have a new product and thus shouldn't be creating patches at all but a new release.

Of course, Microsoft takes a different view these days with their wretched patch methodology for Office 2007 but that still doesn't make it right, in my opinion.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.