This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrade Problems

3 replies to this topic

jhunt

jhunt
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 03:56

I am trying to see if we can use Patches to dispatch bug fixes to our users. However the patch doesn't seem to do anything. It seems to call the cached installer and no files get upgraded.  Changes to desktop shortcuts etc seem to be applied but existing files don't get replaced.

The source and target image package codes are different.
When I apply the patch I use the command line option REINSTALLMODE=vaums.

I have tried changing the product and version codes in the source image but the result is the same.

I feel like I must be missing an obvious step. The version of the file that is being changed has not been altered, is this important?

Help..?

mgrove

mgrove
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 18:10

Try adding the command REINSTALL=ALL

jhunt

jhunt
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 00:06

Ok actually I have been using the REINSTALL=ALL with the REINSTALLMODE=vaums. Sorry I just didn't mention that.

Our Installs are all compressed in a cabinet inside of the msi file. To make the patch. I make the old(target) and new(source) installers as usual. Then I extract the files from each cabinet into the drectory containing the msi file, using msidb.exe.

Then I use msimsp.exe to create the patch. Maybe this process is dodgy?

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 21:06

Hi,
I use the same package for the regular installation and upgrading.  Change a package code, not product and version number. If you add some new components to the project you may not be able use REINSTALL=ALL, you should use REINSTALL=F1,F2 ADDLOCAL=SubF1, where F1 and F2 are existing features, SubF1 is a new subfeature with new components. For more information see this site under Windows Installer-Tools & Tips-Upgrades and Patches.
Good luck,
Irina Shirinsky
Software Engineer, Heroix Corporation
http://www.heroix.com