This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Administrative Install - Changing the output folders

Best Answer deramor , 09 October 2015 - 20:55

Thanks Stefan,

I ended up talking to Installshield support.  The Source Location property does work.

This is what I ended up doing:

1. I populated the source location property on one of my components.

2. Installshield created a new directory in the directory table.  It called it [GlobalAssemblyCache] and gave it a default identifier NEW_DIRECTORY1 which I later changed.

3. I then modified each other component's source location property to the same value as the the first component.  Installshield automatically changed the destination value to the new GAC folder.

The result was that during an administrative install, the components with the modified values were "unzipped" to a folder relative to the msi file of .\GlobalAssemblyCache\<Source Location Value>

So since I modified all my duplicate file names to unzip to a new folder, I can now run the admin install and me left with all the files instead of some getting over written. 

Go to the full post

2 replies to this topic

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 19:32

Hello-

I have an installer that has many .net assemblies in the GAC.  These assemblies provide a programming API for our customers.  We have added native 64-bit support.  Now, each .Net assembly is added to the GAC twice.  Once for 32-bit and again for 64-bit (same installer provides both bitnesses).

If I do an administrative install, all the files installed into the GAC get uncompressed to a folder called GlobalAssemblyCashe.  Unfortunately, Windows file system is not as forgiving as the GAC is when it comes to files with the same name in the same folder. 

I end up losing some of the files as they get overwritten. 

My question is, can I override the output folder my administrative install uses?  I tried to populate the "Source Location" setting on a few of the components but either I did it wrong or it didn't work.  Note, the installation is originally compressed before I run the administrative install. 

The help topic "Installing Files of the Same Name" mention uncompressed installs only.  I'm not sure this setting would work for compressed installs.  Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 17:15

SourceLocation should be a single folder, not a path, e.g. x86 and x64

If you look at the Directory table in Direct Editor view, the DefaultDir columns should look similar to this:

.:x86

.:x64

Hopefully (haven't tested this) Windows Installer should then use these su folders during the administrative install.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 20:55   Best Answer

Thanks Stefan,

I ended up talking to Installshield support.  The Source Location property does work.

This is what I ended up doing:

1. I populated the source location property on one of my components.

2. Installshield created a new directory in the directory table.  It called it [GlobalAssemblyCache] and gave it a default identifier NEW_DIRECTORY1 which I later changed.

3. I then modified each other component's source location property to the same value as the the first component.  Installshield automatically changed the destination value to the new GAC folder.

The result was that during an administrative install, the components with the modified values were "unzipped" to a folder relative to the msi file of .\GlobalAssemblyCache\<Source Location Value>

So since I modified all my duplicate file names to unzip to a new folder, I can now run the admin install and me left with all the files instead of some getting over written.