This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding Maintenance to current project

5 replies to this topic

BillK

BillK
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 21:05

I created a project that only allowed uninstallation of all of the software.  I want to change that, and add maintenance.  How do I add this into an existing project?  Were do I start?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 00:33

You must be using a program block model then instead of event driven.  In which case, here are some steps that I was given and subsequently used to do just that:

"It is not hard to alter the program block to event driven; at least since you sound like you already have the file groups destinationed (components were where the destination was in 5.5) and I would assume it compiles.  So, all you really have to do is find the componentmovedata.  Everthing before this goes in onfirstuibefore and everything after goes in onfirstuiafter (basically).  Throw away the componentmovedata as it is done automatically after onfirstuibefore (and onmaintuibefore).  I'd make a copy of the script file before starting.  I bet then all your event functions get hit correctly.  (I hate to be a pesimist but I have never seen the program block work correctly in 6.x and only read about problems from this.) "

SOURCE: http://www.installsi...rum1....<p>Hope it helps.

BillK

BillK
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 20:59

Nope my program is event driven.  What I mean't about my program uninstalling everything is that I did not add maintenace in my initial design of my project with the project wizard.  Do I simply add the OnMaintUIbefore and after events to my script?

BillK

BillK
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 22:38

OK, let me get more specific in what I want to know.  I install the software on a computer and send the computer somewhere.  Where ever it ends up, they may want to add/remove certain components.  I want to modify the 'MODIFY' process so that the user will only be able to uninstall/install specific components rather than have the choice to uninstall/install every component.  How do I do this using Installshield?  

What I have so far is when the user selects 'modify' from the SdWelcomeMaint dialog, it will go directly to SdComponentTree function and display all of the components available.  I want to limit what they can select from and how many components they can choose.  I can create my own dialog to get the selections, but how do I set that selection in my script.  

Thanks in advance

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 04:20

Okay, I see what you're really asking now.

If I understand your correctly, you want to know how to actually apply the selections from your custom dialog should you choose to go that route.  If that's the case, you'd use ComponentSelectItem to do just that.

Now other people have had similar questions as yours and can be found at the following post:
http://www.installsi...rum1....unately there also aren't many good answers there.  Just some workarounds.

morchella

morchella
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 15:25

Hi - I'm doing exaclty this - using ComponentSelectItem and then display SdAskOptions.  Since installshield doesn't seem to have a clue what it installed last I manually check what the user installed and set the right components.  The problem now is no matter what is selected in the SdAskOptions dialog is not reflected in what is installed/uninstalled...  If the user selects "Select All" - only about a quarter of the components get installed.  Whereas if they selected all the components in the initial install it would work properly.  This is my first event driven install and I'm pretty stuck.  What's the point of a Modify install if the install doesn't know what to do ...

Jennifer