This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Remote Procedure Call failed

4 replies to this topic

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 17:09

My testing department is testing an established install project and are experiencing a new error at the end of the install. The install presents a Finished screen and this appears when selecting Finish.

They get this message:
An error occurred while launching the setup.
Remote Procedure Call failed.

Seems to have just started happeing. Since they test installs again and again, possibly something needs cleared? Had them clean out their Windows Temp directory and reboot which doesn't seem to help.

They are using Win Xp Pro.

Edited by Blackdog, 28 August 2007 - 17:10.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 14:23

My first thought would be to try debugging the setup on one of those affected machines. For more information on doing this, check out this IS KB article that's referenced in our Basic FAQ.

I'd also be curious if the problem can be reproduced on a "clean" PC.
user posted image

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 22:05

My experience is that this 1) does not happen on my machine (Win Xp Pro SP2) 2) It has never happens on a clean machine. It only seems to happen when a tester (for the install project) does repeated installs. The tester goes thru a sequence of events that load data to differing states and then runs this install project again. Once loaded, it may/may not be run again and again to enure it will load upon itself. Seems only after a couple of days, testers start reporting this. Then nothing we do clears it out. Yes, some of the processes in getting the data to differing states involve another IS6 project being run, but these projuects are 2-3 years old with never a reported problem.

May have to try the debug next. I would think the problem will be found when IS 6 closes itself out when sdFinish is being executed.

Edited by Blackdog, 29 August 2007 - 22:11.

samsquared

samsquared
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 21:55

Have you checked the event viewer when this happens?

Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 22:02

No, I have not even considered this (or knew about it). I will look this up and give it a look.

Thanks.