This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Architecture specific installation

5 replies to this topic

wellwisher

wellwisher
  • Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:19

I have the setup.exe programs for three windows architecture x86, x64 and IA64 and are packages under a parent node directory. The intent is to have a parent setup.exe program that drives the installation based on the architecture so that it calls only one setup.exe; ie if the platform is x86 the parent setup.exe program calls only the setup.exe program specific to x86.
In Install Shield there are properties like VersionNT64, Intel64 and Msix64.

My implementation idea is to create three custom actions one for each platform and execute each of the setup.exe based on the platform.

1) Please let me know the feasibility of such an approach.
2) How will a particular scenario be addressed when the detected platform is not among the three?
3) There are two custom actions of the same type to be chained together for a particular platform. In all there are 6 custom actions; now if the platform detected in x86, the two custom actions are to be executed back to back in order based on their sequence number. Please let me know how shall this be done.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:19

1) Please let me know the feasibility of such an approach.
f the child setups are not MSI based, this should work.

2) How will a particular scenario be addressed when the detected platform is not among the three?
If no condition is true, none of the custom action will be launched. You can use a launch condition if you want to prevent instalaltion in this case. However I'd say this is quite unlikely, since Windows currently only supports these architectures.

3) There are two custom actions of the same type to be chained together for a particular platform. In all there are 6 custom actions; now if the platform detected in x86, the two custom actions are to be executed back to back in order based on their sequence number. Please let me know how shall this be done.
Sin´mply sequence the actions as desired and use the proper conditions.

wellwisher

wellwisher
  • Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 15:36

The child setup.exe are msi based projects. I thik that is should be possible; please let me know what makes you think that it should not be possible to call the child setup.exe form the main setup.exe program.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 20:24

Calling a child msi setup from a main msi setup is not recommended, and will not work when the child is called from the InstallExecute sequence.
If you main setup is just a shell or "umbrella" then I'd recoomend using InstallScript or a pure exe instead of MSI.

wellwisher

wellwisher
  • Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:47

Thanks for the reply. What I'm doing is to create a setup.exe file that would act as an umbrella exe calling the child exe. These won't be a parent msi calling child msi even though the child setup.exe programs do have the corresponding msi.

Please let me know how do I get both the setup.exe and seup.msi file under the same release using Install Shield.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:14

You would have to build the child msis first, then build the umbrella setup which pulls in the msis at build time.