This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation in XP - urgent

7 replies to this topic

its_me

its_me
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:33

Hi,

I am facing a weird problem in WinXP.
I have a package "test install.msi", developed using Windows Installer version 2.01. The msiexec.exe version is 1.0.xx .Setup.exe is included but i am not providing the MSI engines to be installed. When i place the package in the harddrive of the XP machine and try installing, it installs fine.
But if i do a mapping of the drive or the pack to another drive letter and try clicking on setup.exe causes the first screen which is "destination folder" dialog to come up. Clicking on next in that dialog just exits the installation process.
The log file on running the setup.exe is as following:

=== Verbose logging started: 11/9/2002  14:51:54  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 2.00.2600.00  Calling process: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSIEXEC.EXE ===
MSI © (94:28): Resetting cached policy values
MSI © (94:28): Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI © (94:28): ******* RunEngine:
          ******* Product: T:\test install.msi
          ******* Action:
          ******* CommandLine: **********
MSI © (94:28): Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
MSI © (94:28): Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI © (94:28): Cloaking enabled.
MSI © (94:28): Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (50:3C): Resetting cached policy values
MSI (s) (50:3C): Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (s) (50:3C): ******* RunEngine:
          ******* Product: T:\test install.msi
          ******* Action:
          ******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (s) (50:3C): Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (s) (50:3C): Note: 1: 2318 2: T:\test install.msi
MSI (s) (50:3C): MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI © (94:28): Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI © (94:28): MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 11/9/2002  14:51:55 ===

Here I mapped the pack to T:
I am facing this issue only in Win XP. The same way of installation works fine in all other OS's like Win ME and Win2K

Please give inputs for this issue.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 13:09

MSI (s) (50:3C): Note: 1: 2318 2: T:\test install.msi

2318 = File does not exist

Can you access the install.msi file in Explorer? Could this be a long file name issue (blank in file name)?

its_me

its_me
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:09

Hi Stephen
Thanks for the reply.
I tried rebuilding the pack, with no blanks in the name
"Testinstall.msi". But it didn't work.

The things is that it works fine when it is present in the hard drive. And even when i map the drive and try, it is starting the installation and the destination folder screen, which is teh first screen in case of my installation comes up. Then why is it stopping when i click on Next in that dialog?
Can you think of something??

its_me

its_me
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:45

Also, I wrote the pack to a cd and tried. In that caase the installation from the CD is also proper. So what is happening when i am "subst"ing a drive??

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 11:05

I'm not sure how subst works  on XP internally, i.e. which processes can see the substituted drive.
The UI part of the installation runs in a client process that is started when you launch your setup (i.e. after you subst'ed). The execute sequence however (and that's where it fails) runs in a service process, which may not see your subst. (I don#t know if that's the problem, this is just a shot in the dark)

its_me

its_me
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 07:38

I have one more query.
Iam trying to launch my setup.exe from a master installer.
Its exiting saying that "Setup of the master installer has encountered a sever error and would exit"
The master installer was built using Install shield 8.0. But my .msi is of lower version (built using windows installer version 2.01). Could the version of msiexec.exe be the problem? But I am not providing the option to upgrade/install msiengine in my msi package.
Is it like it started installation with a higher version of MSI and then it is internally calling a setup of lower version?? I see that before it gives that severe error, my pack has been installed with the shortcuts all properly formed and working.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 09:35

It depends on how you launch your setup.exe, and what exit code it returns to the master installer (you can select to ignore the exit code).
A log file should give additional information.

ijahman

ijahman
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 17:13

to the subst...thing:

mr. krueger is right.

the msi system context (the server) is not allowed to use the subst of the user.

we had the same problem as we tried to install userfiles with keypaths using a subst to u: = %USERPROFILE%

everything worked fine until we started to switch to XP. Since then we do not use this construct any more.