This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

COM+ application installation

9 replies to this topic

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 13:42

Dear All,

I am using Wise Package Studio 5.6/7

One of my application installs COM+ applications and these won't get captured.
With Wise, we have an option "MTS/COM+" in the Advanced section of "Installation Expert". I tried using this, but it still not installed.
Seems I am making some mistakes there.

Anybody any info on this topic will be of great help

--- Vijay

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 13:55

Also I tried with export option for the COM + Applications. It gets exported as an MSI file, but while installaling again it gives error and fails to install

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 14:57

QUOTE (Vijay_k @ 2009-05-05 12:55)
while installaling again it gives error

...and that error is....?

What does a verbose log tell you?
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 15:48

When the installation about the complete I am getting the error "Error registering COM+ Application. Contact Your support personnel for more information."

Verbose Log showing the error as 2945 Internal Error.
I am not able to get much info on this.

One thread in this site mentioned about the same problem and resolved by deleting the duplicate ProgID. I am not having any such issues, still it throws error.

Any idea.............

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 16:35

What does your command line/MSI Logging registry entry look like? I ask because your log entry doesn't look particularly verbose to me! It should contain an entry similar to this:

Internal Error 2945: Installation of ComPlus App C:\Program Files\COMPlus Applications\[GUID]\APL4.tmp, [some negative number]

The "[some negative number]" is what we need.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that your target workstation is missing a file (or several files) which the COM+ app requires as a dependency.

- Run Dependency Walker on the target. DW is a free d/l from MS.
- Drop the EXE onto Dependency Walker
- Examine the list of files with red highlighting. Ignore the usual suspects like MPR.DLL.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:50

Dear VBScab,

Thanks a lot for your help and very sorry to miss out adding the error report.
Below is the section of the error report from verbose log:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MSI (s) (B0:88) [20:12:19:429]: Executing op: ComPlusRegister(AppID={D2D0CEE9-5C9E-4CF9-9CBA-B00839280736},AplFileName=C:\Program Files\COMPlus Applications\{D2D0CEE9-5C9E-4CF9-9CBA-B00839280736}\APLD9.tmp,AppDir=C:\Program Files\COMPlus Applications\{D2D0CEE9-5C9E-4CF9-9CBA-B00839280736}\,AppType=17,InstallUsers=TRUE,)
DEBUG: Error 2945: Installation of ComPlus App C:\Program Files\COMPlus Applications\{D2D0CEE9-5C9E-4CF9-9CBA-B00839280736}\APLD9.tmp failed with error -2147221005.
Internal Error 2945. C:\Program Files\COMPlus Applications\{D2D0CEE9-5C9E-4CF9-9CBA-B00839280736}\APLD9.tmp, -2147221005
MSI (s) (B0:88) [20:12:19:445]: Note: 1: 1928
MSI © (CC:78) [20:12:19:445]: Font created. Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

Error 1928. Error registering COM+ Application. Contact your support personnel for more information.
MSI (s) (B0:88) [20:14:03:322]: Product: DataPlus -- Error 1928. Error registering COM+ Application. Contact your support personnel for more information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried with dependecy walker but not of much help.

Based on your clue of error code, I searched the net and able to find the below link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308940

With the information in the above link I was able to find out the exact problem with my COMPlus installation.
The default exported Complus application is trying to install the application to default location and from that location the dll's are failing to register (I really don't know why). I tried installing it in some other location (Actually to base location) and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks for your help.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:55

QUOTE (Vijay_k @ 2009-05-06 07:50)
<snip>from that location the dll's are failing to register (I really don't know why).

Use ProcMon (or your favoured process/file/registry monitor) and you'll find out! smile.gif 99.99% of the time, failed registration is due to either permissioning (the account being used doesn't have write permissions to the registry location) or to missing dependencies. Again, for the latter, Dependency Walker will tell all.

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:07

SPOT ON!!!!!!!
Used Dependecy walker.
Yes, there is one file (.bpl) which is required for the registration of these dll's in the same location. Now it is registering.

Thanks a lot.

Actually this is the first time I am working with COM Applications, really learnt few new things.

I need one more favour, is it possible to add the current logged on user to the "Roles-->CreatorOwner-->User" of the COM+ Application using some script or any other method other than manually adding.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:32

Google, Google, Google...

Good old AppDeploy, my second home.

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 13:48

Thanks for your help.

I am able to create the script for the same.

--- Vijay Kumar