This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dr. Watson Error (IDriver.exe) on WinNT 4.0

9 replies to this topic

njneardude

njneardude
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2002 - 01:03

I have two seperate installation projects built using InstallShield Developer 7 SP2.  These installation work fine on Win2000 machines.  But about 80% of the time, I get a Dr. Watson error when I run them on WindowsNT 4.0.  The Dr. Watson error always references the IDriver.exe file.  And, the error always occurs just before the OnFirstUIAfter event.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

John Schwab

John Schwab
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 17:57

Good to know I am not alone.  I am having a similar intermittent problem.  It appears more like 50 % of the time, and not when running setup in verbose mode (I did get a log of a similar, but rare, uninstall error which I will show later).

I also note that my Dr.Watson IDriver failure happens when the InstallShield Wizard, Setup Status, is at 100% and indicating "Setup is performing the requested operations".  Is this what you mean by "just before the OnFirstUIAfter event"?

I can trap a similar error during a rare uninstall of the same package which logged "Action ended 14:03:29: INSTALL. Return value 1.  DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action ISMsiServerStartup did not close 19 MSIHANDLEs.  Internal Error 2769. ISMsiServerStartup, 19  Action ended 14:03:29: ISMsiServerStartup. Return value 0.").

I wonder if its one of those cases where a service doesn't quite get long enough to start.

I am still working on this issue, I'll let you know if I have any breakthroughs, please keep me posted as well.

Alex Brown

Alex Brown
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 11:45

Yes, I'm also having this problem, although more infrequently (maybe around 20% of the time on certain NT machines).  Occurs under NT with IS 7.02 when installation reaches 100%.  Doesn't occur in verbose mode.

Any ideas anyone?

John Schwab

John Schwab
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 15:24

Njneardude (original post) let me know he gave up and went back to his version 6.1 environment.  I am still working on this and FTPed my Installation to InstallShield Friday.  I am going to experiment with removing features from my instalation package today to see if it goes away.

Here in America, it appears that Dr. Watson didn't log anything like he says he is doing (in the error dialog).  Perhaps you could get a better handle on this (being from England)?  Anything in your log when you run  drwtsn32?  Perhaps you could call in Holmes for some assistance?  Any clues might be helpful.

Rayhawk

Rayhawk
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 00:56

I have also been having this problem--same circumstances, same empty log, same everything.

This is how I fixed it:  I ran the "full validation suite" which, as usual, produced many mostly irrelevant warnings.  However, it did note an "invalid feature requirement" [or something like that].  Turned out that a feature had been requiring another feature, which had been renamed/deleted.  Amazingly, this had not produced a compile-time warning.  Simply going to  FEATURES/<FeatureName>/REQUIRED_FEATURES and removing the non-existent requirement fixed the problem.

Then it came back, this time is was an invalid [no longer existing] PARENT entry in the DIRECTORY table.  Though ISD7 is supposed to clean up the unused directories, it had left about a dozen behind--removing these entries via the Direct Editor fixed the problem.

Probably not coincidences.

Hope this helps.

Alex Brown

Alex Brown
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 14:39

Great - many thanks Rayhawk.  Just as I was on the point of paying a visit to 221B Baker Street too.

Seems my installation had simialr problems - a non-existant required feature and some unused entries in the directory table.  I ran the full validation suite and sorted out the errors - this seems to fix the problem.

Alex

John Schwab

John Schwab
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 22:20

Thanks for postings, Rayhawk an Alex, they were very interesting.

I got 1 error when I ran the full validation suite :

ICE03ErrorInvalid DefaultDir string; Table: Directory, Column: DefaultDir, Key(s): ISYourCompanyDirhttp://dartools/iceman/ice03.htmlDirectoryDefaultDirISYourCompanyDir

Any idea how I would fix this?

John Schwab

John Schwab
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 23:18

I managed to clear up my ICE03 error.  Full Validation now comes back clean.  However I still get the IDriver failure.  On the system with Dev 7.02 and Borland I get an OLEChannelWnd: IDRIVER.EXE - Application Error (instead of Dr. Watson):  The instruction at "0x001446d0" referenced memory at "0xbb33a864". The memory could not be "written".

InstallShield support just informed me that this is due a bug with 7.02:

"  This bug is slated to be fixed for a future maintenance release for Dev7.  Since we are able to reproduce the error, we should be able to determine a fix, and most likely it will make it in the next MP.  However, the fix may take longer and could be released in a later MP.  "

They did't have any work-arounds for me to use.

I was forced to revert back to using InstallShield Professional 6.3 for this delivery.  To make matters worse InstallShield support charged me 贄 / incident for problems encountered during the emergency work-around since it involved IS Pro.  I even talked to the same person who finally determined it was a bug with IS Dev!

(Edited by John Schwab at 5:22 pm on Feb. 26, 2002)

(Edited by John Schwab at 8:18 am on Feb. 27, 2002)

(Edited by John Schwab at 6:41 pm on Feb. 28, 2002)

Alex Brown

Alex Brown
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 13:47

I just had this problem re-occur when installing on a Windows NT target.  It doesn't happen on every machine, looks it depends on what the target machine already has installed.

We've tried removing everything from the Installation in an attempt to find what's causing the problem.  We've tried upgrading to 7.03.  We still get the IDRIVER.EXE error.

If Installshield can reproduce this fault then you wonder why they can't fix it.

Alex Brown

Alex Brown
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 08:25

Just to let you know, this problem is still not fixed in Installshield 7.04.