This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Mergemodules for KB 957924

1 reply to this topic

vrapp

vrapp
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 14:05

For those who are interested- I have created merge modules with new Microsoft COM objects from KB 957924- download at http://www.vadimrapp.com/software.htm

Vadim Rapp

Edited by vrapp, 04 January 2009 - 14:05.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:02

I haven't checked this merge module, and it is a great initiative vrapp. However, be careful with new Microsoft files - they tend to be under OS protection and installed via other mechanisms than MSI. Microsoft Protected Files should never be installed at all, by any other means than Microsoft's own installers. The reason for this is that Microsoft (understandably) are the only ones with knowledge of the api's used to install protected system files. If your installer is kicked off with REINSTALLMODE = amus windows installer will try to force downgrade files. This can trigger nasty, mysterious runtime errors if a protected file is attempted downgraded.

Vista appears to have a new system of file protection that also covers parts of the registry. It is apparently called Windows Resource Protection (WRP) - that's all I know about it :-). On older windows version there should be a folder called "dllcache" in C:\windows\system32\dllcache or similar. It will contain a number of files that are protected. If you find the file here it is protected, but if you don't I think it still could be protected - the reason being that the dllcache folder size is controllable by policy as far as I know.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul