This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Showing a progress bar while msi is downloaded

8 replies to this topic

blk_lantern

blk_lantern
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 20:00

Hello all,
Just getting into this part of software lifecycle. It is definitely its own beast.
I have become very familiar with creating setup projects via Visual studio to create setup.exe and .msi files for deployment.

When clients download our software via the web over slow connections its seems to take the .msi file a while to download. While the download is occuring, there is no progress bar/status screen indicating this is happening which fustrates customers.

All I need is to incorporate a progress screen in project. Meddled with Orca and it seems it should not be as hard as i am making it out to be.

Any help?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:06

During the download of the msi file the msi file isn't running yet. You need to add the progres bar to the downloader.

blk_lantern

blk_lantern
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 13:46

Where do i begin in adding progress bar to the downloader?

Thanks

blk_lantern

blk_lantern
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 14:03

Would a msi wrapper do the job and does anyone know how to use these?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 23:11

It really depends on which downloader/wrapper/launcher you are using.

blk_lantern

blk_lantern
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:32

Well I think i know that LOL...I need direction...possible apps/wrappers/downloaders that might help my course damnit...haha

I need help...I am in the process of using wix which is excellent once you get a grasp of what going on ...and i can see me doing it thus but I need something in the meantime...anything free especially...I have install shield 11.5 alas its not Vista compatible...sheesh

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:39

Oh, sorry for misunderstaning.
Well, I use InstallShield but there are probably other downloaders/launcher out there that you can try. However I'm not particularly familiar with all of them.

blk_lantern

blk_lantern
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 15:54

ph34r.gif Definitely appreciate all the feedback guy...Things don't always fall into the right column/row desired but thats the nature of the tool...Thanks

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:30

Could you create a small MSI that downloads quickly and have this small MSI download the larger one as part of its install? You should then be able to use the standard MSI progress bar to display progress as the larger MSI is downloading? Just a thought.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul