This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Product not identified when migrated from 07 to 10

4 replies to this topic

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:45

HI ,

My project was using Installshield 2007 to install the product and now we created a new project using 2010 for the same product. So we want the installer 2010 to identify the product which was installed using 07 so i have used the same product code, prackage code same as 07 but 2010 doesnt identify the installed product but throws and error message
"This installation can not be run directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe"... Is there any other setting which needs to be done to accomplish this requirement. ? Kindly let me know ur opinions.

Thanks and Regards,
Balaji

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 15:20

That message shouldn't have anything to do with updating; is your project an InstallScript MSI? That message usually indicates that you have chosen to use InstallScript for your customer input dialogs in your installation.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 15:35

You must change the PackageCode with each build (InstallShield can do this automatically for you). You should keep the UpgardeCode. If you followed the minor update rules, you can keep the ProductCode, otherwise change the ProductCode and add a Major Upgrade item in Upgrades view.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:19

Hi Stefan

This is how my product is configured.
Project created with IS2007 and IS2010 has same upgrade code and package code and only product code differs...Is this sufficient for IS2010 to identify the product installed using IS2007 and go into upgrade mode , i have created a major upgrade view as well , i want IS2010 to completely remove IS2007 and install the new product ...What am i missing here ? can u please help me..

Regard,
Balaji

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 17:01

The PackageCode must be DIFFERENT.
You must increment the ProductVersion somewhere in the first three fields (because the fourth field is ignored).
Under Media > Upgrades add a Major Upgrade item.