This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to refresh the add/remove panel?

6 replies to this topic

xinjiang

xinjiang
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:56

I create many fake application uninstall entry in the add/remove panel, so i need detele them when i need.
Now the problem is when i delete them, these entries are still in that panel, does anyone knows how to refresh this add/remove panel?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:04

You could make sure the ARP is closed before deleting the entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You can also use the TweakUI tool from Microsoft Powertoys to remove unwanted ARP entries.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

xinjiang

xinjiang
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:18

Thank Glytzhkof.

I can't ask the user close his ARP before he uninstall my application. And I can't use the third tool.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 14:17

Okay, exactly what are you deleting and when? 'cause you normally shouldn't need to manually refresh the Add/Remove Programs listing.

Also, why are creating so many fake entries in the first place?
user posted image

xinjiang

xinjiang
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:32

why are creating so many fake entries in the first place?

My installer needs deal with an application like this: a Parent module with many Child modules.
All modules need an uninstall entry to handle the different choose of the user.

Because the installer built by IS6.3 just has one uninstall entry(I use this for the Parent Module), I must fake some entry for the Child modules.

what are you deleting and when?
I need delete some key in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

when that key is not need any more.

the question is when I delete the key, the Add/Remove windows not reflesh immediately, so I want to reflesh it manually.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 14:48

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to force an open ARP dialog to be refreshed. There may be some API call available to do that, but you'd have to check with Microsoft.

An alternative to having all of those fake child entries though would be to have the parent include a custom uninstall wizard that allowed the user to select it for removal and/or some subset of the children.

Hope it helps.
user posted image

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 20:32

Today, while investigating an install problem, I discovered the following set of registry entries related to the operation of the Add/Remove Program dialog:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache

Therefore, I would highly recommend you also try deleting the corresponding <UninstallGUID> key from this area as well when removing one of these child modules.

Good luck then, hope it helps, and let me know how you make out.
user posted image