This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Unregister COM dll

6 replies to this topic

maxk

maxk
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 17:01

With Installshield 2012 spring, I'm trying to create a new MSI to unregister existing files--> overwrite files --> register (by extra at build) on Win 7 64-bit.

I tried to use a custom action to unregister the files using Regserv32 but kept getting permission issues.

"[Systemfolder]regsvr32.exe" /s /u "[systemfolder]\myfiles.dll"

I had no problem with older version of IS but this version doesn't like this.

Can't use cmd script to do anything? I thought it was a simple process but can't do anything with it.

Or any other ways to unregister existing files?

Thanks,

M

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 16:51

Make sure your custom action is set to running deferred in system context, and scheduled between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize (actually, early after InstallInitialize)

maxk

maxk
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 16:16

Hi Stefan,

I was able to run it using one file name.

Are there any ways to use a wild card to unregister mutiple files?

"[Systemfolder]regsvr32.exe" /s /u "[systemfolder]\myfiles.dll" <-- works

"[Systemfolder]regsvr32.exe" /s /u "[systemfolder]\*.dll" <-- does NOT work.  I get Error 1722.

Thanks,

M

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:27

As far as I know, regsvr32 doesn't support wildcards. And you probably don't want to unregister all DLLs on the system, only your own.

maxk

maxk
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 16:07

Hi Stefan,

Do you have any suggestions to unregister multiple files? I have about 200 files.

I've created an upgrade (Basic MSI) to update several VB6 and NET files from a FULL build. 

Typically, I would simply overwrite the files but the application doesn't behave right this time.

- Overwrite files (no luck) 

- Remove all the existing files using REMOVEFILE table and copy. (no luck)

So I manually unregister and register after upgrading fixed all the problems.

Are there significant difference between "Overwrite" VS "Remove and copy" files?

Thanks,

M

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 20:35

A major upgrade (i.e. uninstall old then install new version) would unregister the old files. Overwriting them in a minor update will not unregister them.

maxk

maxk
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 17:19

Hi Stefan,

My final option was to use a major upgrage.

I actally haven't try a major. Are there any good reading materials that you recommend?

Thanks,

M