This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing device drivers with Windows Installer

7 replies to this topic

Volynkin

Volynkin
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:16

Hi guys, my first post here.

i've been working on some installer recently and after finding alot of usefull info on your site/forum decided to make a short writeup to give something back.

http://www.volynkin.com/vsdriver.htm

There I have combined several ideas to make a working device driver installer using basic tools like VS.NET c++ dll project for the custom action, VS.NET setup and deployment project for the MSI installer wrapper and Orka from MS SDK for the MSI db final touch.

I hope you will find this info usefull. let me know if you have any comments/corrections.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:43

Have you tried Microsoft's driver installation framework at
http://www.microsoft...ll/DIFxApp.mspx

Volynkin

Volynkin
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:07

Yes i did, the problem with DIFxApp is that it takes only the signed drivers. i have been working only with the unsigned ones so far. In addition, the latest InstallShield provides support for DIFxApp which i have also tried, but again it only works with the signed drivers.

Edited by Volynkin, 11 October 2004 - 12:38.

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 17:51

Nice to see I'm not the only person who has come across this issue!

I take it your tool doesn't deal with the driver signing policy popup messages?

Volynkin

Volynkin
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 19:22

No it doesn't. I was trying to do something about it, but it requires OS patching to get around this and i'm not doing it right now. So, the user still has to approve unsigned driver installation...unfortunately.

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 09:03

I had the same problem!

My solution for unsigned drivers used an advertised shortcut to trigger a system context, deferred execution custom action which ran the appropriate "rundll32.exe" command.

This way, I could be sure the user was sitting in front of the PC when the driver was installed, so he could accept the warning message.

mayur

mayur
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:09

Hi All,

I am also using the DiFax tool for driver information.I am having problems in implementing driver for one labsole application which is having driver for Dongle parallel port.

I have captured the setup.exe to find driver related files(Inf,dll,sys,cat...for signed driver) but i got only one sys file Nt529drv.sys and same name for dll.
No cat file and inf was captured.

I think this is unsigned driver.

can machine independent driver be implemented by adding registry under HKLM\system\controlset\enum\<drvername>\*?

Is there any other way of implementing drivers.

Mayur

Edited by mayur, 11 November 2004 - 09:15.

deskey

deskey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 17:55

^ a legacy style driver installed as an admin wont need to be signed..
www.des.co.uk || www.deslock.com