This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade Add/Change Features

2 replies to this topic

RichardH

RichardH
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 16:44

Hi all,

Here's an easy one to start with... blink.gif

We have a situation similar to this:

FeatureA
--Component1
--Component2
--Component3
FeatureB
--Component4
--Component5
--Component6

and we have changed our installer (InstallScript MSI Project) to this:

FeatureA
--FeatureC
----Component1
--FeatureD
----Component2
--Component3
FeatureB
--Component4
--Component5
--Component6

We have had to add multiple new features and move previously existing components into them.

How do I go about authoring an upgrade for this ? I've tried the simple stuff (setting the REINSTALLMODE, REINSTALL & ADDLOCAL properties) but this doesn't work

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:30

You need to create a Major Upgrade (i.e. change ProductCode) which will automatically uninstall the old version if you modify the feature-component-tree like this

RichardH

RichardH
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 13:47

Hmm. OK, that's do-able.

Is there any way of (in script) determining that this is a major upgrade and pre-populating the path variables with whatever the user has chosen in the previous version ?

I can see this nightmare scenario of the user upgrading into another location and having the data (which is supplied via another installer) nowhere to be found...

Or is it as simple (as we store our paths in the registry) of making some changes to the "OnFirstUIBefore" function to check for these keys, and then populating the path variables with them ?