This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Weakness of MSI

2 replies to this topic

Sa'di Tahboub

Sa'di Tahboub
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 15:57

Hi to all;
can someone tell me what is the major reason that let me to use pure installscript insted of basic-msi ? and what is the weakness points of msi?

thx alot

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 14:53

In my opinion, you should use MSI if logo compliance or following Microsoft's standards is important to you, or if you have customers using Active Directory Services to distribute installations. Otherwise, I think that InstallScript installations are as viable an option. Each type has strengths and weaknesses.

I think the learning curve may be larger for MSI, because I believe it to be important to learn the "rules" of MSI thoroughly. The only times we've had any problems updating, uninstalling or replacing MSI-based installations is when we've tried to go around the rules or have misunderstood how MSI works.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Sa'di Tahboub

Sa'di Tahboub
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 19:58

Hello KathyMorey,

thanks for answering me,
well now i have a problem, i want to know which type of project i must useeither Pure InstallScript or Basic MSI, or if i can choose what i prefer.
anyway my application publichs number of web services, the idea i have to do is to let the user to select one of the available web sites in his machine and then select as custom the web services to be installed into the selected web site. so should i use basic msi, or installscript can support me ?

i hope if you can can help me
thx again.