This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Regarding Version Control

1 reply to this topic

thebert99

thebert99
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 18:33

Can someone explain how version control works in IS Pro 7. I have an existing install (it is already deployed) that uses Pro 5. I would like to install a new version of this install that will be concurrently installed with the old version. These two versions will share environment variables and a few registry keys. They also run as services and cannot both be running simultaneously. Currently, the new install is being written in Pro 6.

The documentation for Pro 7 discusses having multiple installs running concurrently and discusses being able to handle multiple versions. Will upgrading address my problem, or am I being too optimistic? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Dagostini

Dagostini
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 19:11

blink.gif I am a little confused because you say "concurrently installed" and "cannot both be running simultaneously" which seems contradictory.

You can develop an installer to uprade the old version but then they both will not be installed.

You can develop it as a new product (change the product ID) so that both can be installed but you will need to write custom action code to shut the older version down so both services don't run at the same time.