This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registering files

3 replies to this topic

mouy

mouy
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:11

Hi,

What is the easiest way to register files?

I have tried custom action (calling regsvr32) and installshield script LaunchAppAndWait, both not working!

Note: These files cannot initially be marked as self-register as it depends on what installation options are chosen.

Any other way?

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 19:05

Both methods should work (although they are not a really nice question). Make sure that yu call them after the file has been copied (i.e. either as deferred execution between InstallFiles and InstallFinalize, or as immediate after InstallFinalize)

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:25

Watch out for reboots: if the system requires a reboot because your file was not copied (eg. exisiting version was in use), then postpone the registration until the system has rebooted - otherwise you would register the old copy, instead of the new copy.

I wonder about the design: under what circumstances do to install the file, but not register it? Just curious.

mouy

mouy
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 23:37

Hi There,

Thanks for the help.

I used a batch file to register the files because I can never seem to get the LaunchAppAndWait to work.

The files are part of a merge module, since mm's cannot have installscript I had to call these registration in the main installer.

These merge modules are shared between many products and only 1 require them to be registered.

Thanks again!