This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Using Suite for 32/64 bit installations with no Suite UI

4 replies to this topic

installer96

installer96
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 21:38

I want to use a Suite to package up our 32 and 64 bit installer, launch the appropriate one automatically, then kill itself once the 32 or 64 bit installer launches.

I don't want the user to see the Suite UI at all, I just want them to see the 32 or 64 bit installer that I'm packaging.

Is that possible?

I'm still trying to figure out the flow of events... I presume I need to delete the "InstallationWelcome" page, then figure out what triggers the install on the "InstallationProgress" page and trigger that in the "OnBegin" event, but I can't figure out just what that is, or if its just InstallShield black magic and you have to stick with the InstallationProgress Page.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 23:17

I suggest that you modify your 32-bit installer and 64-bit installer to hide themselves from ARP.

That way, only the suite installer will show up in ARP and you have the option of adding things to it, also hiding those entries as well.

Would this work for you?

I also have not figured out the order of events myself.  For example, I want to remove the page that asks to install complete or custom. 

installer96

installer96
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:56

Your proposal could work but sounds like a lot of work, and it still doesn't solve the issue of hiding the Suite UI. 

I'd really prefer to not use the Suite for anything except to launch the appropriate installer then kill itself, which seems like it would be very simple if I were more familiar with this project type. 

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:41

In that case, you can write a short console app that checks for the system bitness. It would just launch the right installer, not wait for the process to finish, and exit.

installer96

installer96
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:59

@deramor: For removing the InstallationType page, you might be able to execute the Install event and launch the InstallationProgress page whenever you click Next on InstallationWelcome page. I haven't tried this myself so there may be a gotcha I'm unaware of.

As for my issue, I ended up being able to force InstallShield to do what I wanted. I will report back if this ends up not working for whatever reason. Writing a console app probably would have been easier, so I don't know how useful this will be to anyone.

1. Added "Close Window" action with a Return Code of "IDOK" to "Page Entered" event in the InstallationWelcome and MaintenanceWelcome pages. This will immediately kill the Suite UI.

2. Added exe events for my x86 and x64 exe installers to the OnBegin event. Gave them the appropriate architecture conditions. Set "Wait For Exit" to no.

3. Under "General Information" in the Suite, set "Show Add or Remove Programs Entry" to "No."

Edited by installer96, 15 July 2017 - 03:11.