This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to stop uninstallation

3 replies to this topic

David935

David935
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:56

Hi,

Just wondering how to stop upgrades from uninstalling un sellected options.

I have set up an installer that has various options, some only valid for a first install if they are needed. Repeat upgrades to the main product do not need and must not have the previous options upgraded unless they are specifally chosen.

But running a setup for the second time will uninstall none-selected options rather than just ignoring them.

Is this beyond the scope of InstallShield Express or am I missing something?

- David.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 14:10

Not sure I understand your question. If you run your setup a second time (maintenance mode) and un-select any feature this feature will be removed. This is by design and is the standard behaviour for essentially all setup programs.

David935

David935
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:59

Thanks Stefan for your reply.

Yes, you are correct in your understanding of my problem. Is there any way to curcumvent this standard behaviour.

I want a single setup for our installation tech's to use. Part of the setup installs an optional initial database. Upon running an upgrade, not selecting this removes it along with the data, considerably anoying our clients. Upgrading the database to empty tables is not an option either.

Any ideas or will I have to have multiple setup programs for each of the different progam features?

-David.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 15:47

You could make the database a required feature so that it can't be un-selected.