This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Validation

4 replies to this topic

Petch

Petch
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:23

Has anyone got experience for validating 3rd party MSI's? I know that goes against standards and you should use transforms instead...but.

For example when validating MS Project 2002 I get thousands of ICE33 errors which are present on the original package also. Is there a white paper anywhere for validation or what Microsofts guidelines regarding validation are. Meaning which warnings are acceptable etc...

I just find it strange because there seems to be no documentation available for when you can break the rules and when you cannot.

Edited by Petch, 29 October 2003 - 12:24.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:04

I'm not aware of such a document. However ICE warnings in MS packages are nothing unusual. Even some of their Merge Mosules don't validate without erros and warnings, with the effect that your own setups won't validate if you use their modules.

Petch

Petch
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 17:02

I find that slighty controversial. Having said that, some of the vendor MSI's are really bad. Some kind of 'general' document would definitely help.

Oogle

Oogle
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 21:37

Maybe this?

http://www.microsoft...02-73BB9BC29D54

Read page 26.

Petch

Petch
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:37

That is already in the standards. Regarding validation there is not much info anywhere. But thanks anyway.