This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Creating MSI using linux

4 replies to this topic

GandalfIX

GandalfIX
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:19

Hi there,

i've got the job to evaluate whether it is possible to create MSI files on a linux box.
Currently it appears to me, that this is not possible. Is this correct or is there a way to create such files on a linux box?

Cheers,
Markus

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:48

To create an msi file tools ususally use the Windows Installer API of Windows, which is not available on Linux. I don't think it's reasonably possible to hand-build an msi file by assemblying the bits. Your best bet would probably be a Windows emulator or Virtual Machine (VMware) running Windows on a Linux host.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 14:07

Check what other package management systems are available:
http://en.wikipedia....agement_systems

Of particular interest:
http://en.wikipedia....Package_Manager
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

GandalfIX

GandalfIX
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 15:55

Thanks the problem is, that it is required to build MSI files.
And as the server which is used is a Linux box this would have been the best solution. So perhaps we try the VMWare/Wine/Whatever emulator way.

Thanks again,
Markus

elektrik

elektrik
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:46

QUOTE (GandalfIX @ 2007-01-04 19:19)
Hi there,

i've got the job to evaluate whether it is possible to create MSI files on a linux box.
Currently it appears to me, that this is not possible. Is this correct or is there a way to create such files on a linux box?

Cheers,
Markus

Though there may not be a straighforward way to create MSI files with Linux, you should take a look at the WIX project by Microsoft. It uses the XML language to create MSI files. While the compiler and such are DOS programs, the "programming" is all done with XML, so you could conceivably work on the code on your Linux box and then copy it over and compile it with a windows/dos computer.
JJ Horgan