This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to keep MSI from changing my properties??

3 replies to this topic

kgiloo

kgiloo
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:46

I can get rid of this problem when i start my setup on a 64bit (my setup is 32bit)

if one of my properties contain a 64 bit program files path i.e "C:\Program Files\", MSI replaces automatically "C:\Program Files\" with "C:\Program Files (x86)". Very annoying! I do not want that.

in the log:

MSI (s) (24:F4) [11:31:37:185]: WIN64DUALFOLDERS: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\' will substitute 17 characters in 'C:\Program Files\XXXXX...

This folder is NOT an install folder, it is just another folder that i need for my app to run (an environment variable will be set to my property), if MSI change my properties it completely breaks the installation!! sad.gif

How to prevent this?

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 14:42

Microsoft typically puts a lot of effort in creating this behavior, preventing a 32-bit program to access 64-bit program files: a 32-bit exe cannot load 64-bit dlls.

To prevent this, create 64-bit versions of your software.

kgiloo

kgiloo
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:38

thx for your reply.

i agree with you but in my case, it's awkward.
my setup install a service, this service does not use any 64-bit resources, and i guess a 64-bit program should be able to use a 32-bit service(?)

therefore i need the install path of this application to start my service right...

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 14:34

The application that attempts to start the service has a problem - it should start a service using the Service APIs, not CreateProcess. When a service is started with the Service APIs that service is running under the correct account etc.