This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

enable logging by default in efficient way

2 replies to this topic

epriya2003

epriya2003
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 00:32

Hello,

I am able to create log on installation at specified location as follows :

Msiexec /i <PACKAGE.MSI> /log C:\...\<PACKAGE>.log
(dont want verbose output)

But I want by default, if /log is not given, log file must be generated at a fixed location without affecting the performance of installation adversly. I am happy with the speed of installation when I use above command. Kindly let me know how to do that.

I read following about it but it also says it is not recommended:

Open the registry with Regedit.exe and create the following path and keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Reg_SZ: Logging
Value: voicewarmup

It is recommended that you use this service only for troubleshooting. Leaving the service turned on creates a new Msi*.log file every time you use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This activity adversely affects system performance and disk space.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me some efficient way to enable logging by default, i need the it for .msi as well as for .exe.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 13:56

You can change the value voicewarmup to be less verbose. I think that /log is equivalent to oicewamup. However this will always create the log file in the temp folder. It will cause logging for all MSI activity for all msi based setups and therefore will generally slow doesn installations and also fill you temp folder with log files. Therefore it's only recommended for debugging purposes.

You could use a setup.exe launcher that would launch your msi setup with the command line parameters you want.

epriya2003

epriya2003
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 14:56

Thanks a lot.