This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Managing Shared Files from ISX and WISE 5.2

3 replies to this topic

websoftware

websoftware
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:51

G'day,

Our product (v3.0) was deployed using WISE for Windows Installer v5.2 and uses MSI 2.0 as its runtime. We decided not to go with v6.0 of WfWI and instead bought InstallShield X for future use.

We're making the installer for v4.0 in ISX of our product which is still under development and this release uses some COM components that are shared with v3.0, we've got the two products installed (and both work fine) inside some VM's for Win2k and WinXP (others will tbe tested later), however removing v4.0 (based on ISX) removes those files required by v3.0 (based on WfWI) and application breaks unless we "repair" the installation.

Is there a guideline out there that specifies how to manage such situations? Should we instead stick with WfWI and just rewrite the installer for v4.0 of our product in that instead of ISX?

Thanks,

PS. Go easy on me, i'm no installer guru sad.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:55

Ideally you should use the same component code GUID for those shared components, unless you install them to different directories (which would require you to make them "side-by-side" COM components). The recommended way to achive identical GUIDs is to create merge modules for those components, and consume that merge module in both install projects (or make sure the GUID in the Merge Module ios the same as in your old Wise project).

websoftware

websoftware
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:18

Wow thanks for that prompt response Stefan!

I'm guessing it wont matter if I create the MM's in ISX and use those in WISE for our next update for the v3.0 range?

thanks again:)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:11

It's shouldn't matter.