This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component Upgrade

2 replies to this topic

maustr

maustr
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:52

Hi all,

I have a setup that look the Outlook version before install a specific dll. For the Outlook 2000 install the dll version 1 and for Outlook 2003 install the dll version 2, for example. It works very fine but I have a specific situation to handle now.
The user has Outlook 2000 and I install my product the dll version 1. Then user make an Outlook upgrade to version 2003.
My dll will not be more valid and I need to identify and change the installed dll by the new one. I have tried to use the repair process but the condition to install one or another is not checked during the repair. This condition is make using a script after the first dialog (Wellcome Dialog) in UserInterface context.
I have both dlls inside the package (version 1 and 2) but I need a way to install the new dll (version 2) without using a patch or another install package. Is it possible? Sugestions?

Best regards,
Mauricio blink.gif

KapilMarwah

KapilMarwah
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 15:03

Use the appsearch (or a Custom Action) to search the mc for the version of outlook. Save the version in a Property. Author 2 different components for the 2 dlls and condition them according to the property (used for saving the outlook version). also mark the components as transitive (set the msidbComponentAttributesTransitive).

Now when the user makes a repair after upgrading outlook, the new version of your dll will get installed.

Kapil

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 16:57

The easiest, and most powerful solution is rewriting your add-ins, so one DLL can be used for all versions.
Although you could introduce transitive components (called "reevaluate conditions" in InstallShield), and even invoke an repair from your add-in (indirectly of course, to prevent reboots because the file is in use), you still do not cover all scenarios. The one scenario you won't cover is Office installation without upgrading - indeed, you can have multiple versions next to each other, on one system.