This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Retrieving name of currently installed product

1 reply to this topic

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 14:01

Hello everyone.

I am using InstallShield 2008 Professional.

Over the last year, the "NAME" of the product that I install has changed twice.
When I was directed, I simply changed the name in the IDE and left the product code and such alone.
Everything work fine.

This installation program has been used in the field and "the product" is now on quite a few desktops under two different names.

Guess what ?
I have been directed to change the name yet again. (I'm assured this will be the final time.)

During a major upgrade, I have a dialog that pops up informing the user that a previous version of the application has been found and that it will be upgraded.

I would like, if possible, to be able to actually display the name of the product that was found, in the dialog rather than using a generic kind of message.

Is there a way to retrieve the actual name of the currently installed product ?

I see that there are registry entries that contain the name of the currently installed product but in order for me to search for the particular Value name, I need to know what the long GUID is.

Which of course I don't.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Ray in Wisconsin

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:15

Why don't you know the GUID? I should be always be the same. Isn't it the ProductCode?