This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Conversion Error

13 replies to this topic

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:59

hi,

i started to build msi packages 4 days ago. since, i only had problems.
but this time its a major one. yesterday i started to build a msi package and it took time till today. and today i switched my screen on and an error message jumped into my face. wow more than 8 hours sitting in front of the screen for what?! for nothing. i can't deal with this problem so i hope you guys can help me.

her is the message: persist of table File to the database failed

what did go wrong??? somebody plz tell me
the programm i used to build the package is wininstall LE 2003
and the programm i want to repackage is called catia v5 and is has got more than 2 gb in 60000 files
thx for all answers

p.s. how long does it usually take to build such a package??

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:22

If your Windows Installer package contains more than 32767 files, you must change the schema of the database. See MSI help topic "Authoring a Large Package" for details.

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:40

first of all thx for answering me,

is this topic on this forum? if yes i cant find it. can you give me a link? i searched at google and find a microsoft article but it's not explained very well.

thx

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 13:57

one more question

i have the choice between one msi package which contains all files oder one msi package and the files seperate. when i chose the second option is the problem with the 32767 files solved??
i'll try it now
and how long will it take??

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 15:56

i think it makes no difference. but if i am wrong plz tell me and plz tell me where i can find the topic "Authoring a Large Package"
thx

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:15

It's a topic in MSI help (the MSI documentation from Microsoft). If you don't have it you can read it online at http://www.installsi...isdk-online.htm

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:28

hi stefan,

thx for the link but it's the article i found yesterday. and i am sorry to say that i didn't understand it. if you could describe it in your own words or someone else it would be great.

alex

Edited by moench, 22 October 2004 - 11:30.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 13:50

At which step of the description is your problem?

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 15:40

hmmm at the beginning?! i understand in generel what they want me to do but in detail not a word. i don't know how to use msidb.exe or on which database. to change I2 or i2 in I4 or i4 will be no problem i think. a example of a commandline or something would be helpful

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 20:38

msidb.exe is a tool in the Microsoft Platform SDK.
The database is your msi file (an msi file is a relational database)
I2 and I4 are datatypes (integers of different lengths)

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:09

that's clear but i can't export something out of a msi-file if i don't have one. the problem is that for example admin studio first create some data and then AS convert the data into a msi-file. so the error occours befor the msi file is created.

another problem is the microsoft platform SDK. probably i am wrong but micosoft says that SDK is installed on a win 2k machine. but i searched for msidb.exe and could not find it. plz give me a coorect link to donwload SDK for windows 2000 pro thx

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:47

The SDK is not included with the OS. For download see
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1005.htm

Contact Macrovision to find out if there's a way to modify the MSI schema template they are using to support more files.

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 13:27

thx but i think i am too stupid for this world or for the SDK update site. never mind. so yesterday i found a way to create msi-packages with more than 32767 files with adminstudio here is the link: http://helpnet.insta...ef5023Error.htm
if it works? i don't know yet. i started the conversion yesterday and it's not done yet. so again my question how long should this take??
wininstall provides another solution for this problem: split wizard http://bbs.ondemands...id=1396&posts=3

i hope one of these solutions will work

moench

moench
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 11:00

ok guys now the results

adminstudio failed
split wizard failed

so i started with the msidb.exe again and hey it works
it's so easy to export the file table and import it with msidb.exe
i downlaoded the windows installer sdk opend the msidb.exe and it worked