This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Adding a new feature during minor update

7 replies to this topic

SOWI

SOWI
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:03

We added a new feature to our setup. The feature is required for our new software and therefore installed per default (InstallLevel 1).
During an minor update I have the problem that the new feature ist not intstalled. (Feature state is absent Requested state is null).

My question is what is the right way to force the installation of the new feature during a minor update??

Thanks
Frank

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:31

There are basically two ways to do this (see also http://www.installsi...i/updates.htm):

a) Set the Remote Installation property of the new feature to "Favor Parent" and its Required property to yes.

b) Instead of REINSTALL=ALL use REINSTALL=ExistingFeature1,ExistingFeature2 ADDLOCAL=NewFeature

SOWI

SOWI
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 15:57

Thanks for the quick reply but I still have problems with the solution:

Solution a)
The feature is not a child feature so "Favor Parent" is not available.
If I set the "Required" attribut the feature is still missing.

Solution cool.gif:
I know that possibility but it requires a script or a command line interaction.
I would prefere a solution where the customer starts the setup and accepts the dialog box "Do you want to uprgade ..." (generated by setup.exe).

Is it possible to add a script action that performs the ADDLOCAL=NewFeature???

Thanks
Frank Dering

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:07

You could try using the AddLocal and Reinstall control events on the Next button of the Welcome dialog for instance.

SOWI

SOWI
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 13:21

The problem is that I need a solution that works silent or with reducued user interface.

So I decided to do a major upgrade of the product. That works fine but now I have a problem to apply a minor/small on the installed major update!

Every time I try to do that a message box pops up that tells me that ".. another version of the product is already installed".
When I look inside the log file I see that the Seup.exe (generated by the InstallShield compiler) does not generate a command line

Command Line: REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1 ...

as it did during earlier updates of my product. What is wrong now??

I did a rollback to the last working version. But every time I changed the product code of my setup I'm no longer able to perform small/minor update on top of it.

I hope someone could help me.

Frank Dering

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 21:55

setup.exe should set that command line automatically, it doesn't have to be in the setup.ini (anymore). But you may need to use the setup.exe and setup.ini from the latest version (with the new product code)

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 15:48

QUOTE (SOWI @ 2005-12-06 13:21)
The problem is that I need a solution that works silent or with reducued user interface.

So I decided to do a major upgrade of the product. That works fine but now I have a problem to apply a minor/small on the installed major update!

Every time I try to do that a message box pops up that tells me that ".. another version of the product is already installed".
When I look inside the log file I see that the Seup.exe (generated by the InstallShield compiler) does not generate a command line

Command Line: REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1 ...

as it did during earlier updates of my product. What is wrong now??

I did a rollback to the last working version. But every time I changed the product code of my setup I'm no longer able to perform small/minor update on top of it.

I hope someone could help me.

To apply a small update you have to change only the Package Code. If you want to apply a minor upgrade, you have to change also the version of the product.
Now, to get working the minor upgrade, you have to change the REINSTALL value from “amus” which is default value, in to “vomus” in setup.ini or command line. Now, a limitation is for this value, vomus, if you want to install the minor upgrade for the first time (when the initial package is not installed – actually the minor upgrade is not performed), is not recommended to use the value “vomus” for REINSTALL. As a resolution, you can create a CA which sets the value for this property, and add a condition for execution of this CA - Not Installed. If this condition is true, set the value to “amus”, if the condition is false, set the value to "vomus".

SOWI

SOWI
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:28

After hours of investigations I found the reason for my problem!!

The installation used a diffrent product code during the major upgrade than my project file shows in its user interface. I scanned all my files for that GUID but I couldn't find any reference.

So I changed my project to the GUID that was used during the major upgrade.
Now my minor upgrades are installed as expected!

Frank Dering