This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

is pro 5.53 and win xp again.

3 replies to this topic

Gini

Gini
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 16:32

hi,

I've seen some parts of my problem in other topics here but no solution for me:

I have a installation that works with win 2k only as administrator. I use USER_ADMINISTRATOR to abort installation and tell the user why. With XP, the user only gets Setup Initialisation Error 432, Uninstallshield running. I can't display a own message before this error occurs.

But I don't want to resign the uninstall as here:
http://www.installsi...-bin....f=4;t=2

some Questions:
1) Is there a way to display a message before the Error 432 to tell the user he needs an administrator?
2) Would a newer version of Installshield do this job better?
2) Is there a way to make my installation "user-proof"?

features of the setups that might be a problem:
a) put a .ini in WINDIR
B) write entries in the ini
c) run a command-line application that writes some regkeys
d) write some regkeys from the script
e) run javaw.exe, to know if java ist installed.
f) put some new vb-components in WINDIR, if neccessary.
g) find old components of my installation in PATH and ask the user if they should be replaced.

I'd appreciate any help! And tell me if I got something completely wrong.

regards, Stefan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 20:50

1) no, except from a wrapper exe
2) yes, e.g. InstallShield Developer. If Administrator has enable installation with elevated privileges it could even perform the install. Else it would display a customizable error message.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 20:57

BTW you could use the method mentioned in that article, then check for privileges, and if Administrator copy isuninst.exe to the windows folder.

Gini

Gini
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 14:51

Thanks! looks like a pretty simple solution. But - it doesn't work, and I don't know why.

I do have the UnInst.exe on disk1, copy it to WinDir before  DeinstallStart(..), but I can't deinstall the program ("Error... maybe already deinstalled"). If I use my old installation, I get a UnIn0407.exe in Winnt, so I let my new installation copy exactly this file into Winnt - doesnt work.

1) i don't really know how to make and handle this wrapper exe, but one thing - i need to start it outside of my 'real' setup, but the installation is a webinstall, so i need:
a small setup containing this wrapper exe and using it, launching my 'real' setup - and containing it, too?

regards, Stefan