This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registry table issue in Windows XP

10 replies to this topic

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 20:34

I added some entries to the Registry table of my MSI file. When I run the MSI file on Windows 2000, the registry entries are all added to the registry just fine. When I run the same MSI file on Windows XP, none of the registry entries are added to the registry. The entries are a mixture of HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entries. When I check the log file, there are no error messages pertaining to these registry keys. The "WriteRegistryValues" section just skips them entirely in the XP log file, and lists them all in the 2000 log file. The install is run with elevated privileges in both cases, and under an administrator account. Does anyone know of any particular reason why this would work on one platform and not the other?

Thanks,
Doug Paida

dcleous

dcleous
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 00:39

Can you post the log file?

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 15:49

I will try to get a logfile posted. The one we created is very large (2MB), but I will try and create a less detailed one and get it posted.

Thanks,
Doug Paida

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:05

maybe zip up the log file?

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 13:02

I broke the log file up into several parts. This file contains the first lines of the log file.

Attached Files

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 13:07

This file contains the last lines of the WriteRegistryValues section. The last entry ("SOFTWARE\Siemens\UCW") is another key that I added to the file. This one did get installed, but the other keys I mentioned did not. The entries before this one are all ones that MSI added for various DLLs and OCXs.

Attached Files

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 13:10

This file contains the list of property values from the bottom of the log file.

Attached Files

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:23

Can you please post the whole log and zip it up?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:24

Also, can you please list the registry values that do not get installed?

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 14:18

Here is the whole log. I didn't think it would compress down to less than 100K because it was more than 2MB.

The keys that do not get installed on Windows XP are
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Siemens\User Data Access\23.6\TimeOut
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Siemens\User Data Access\23.6\ODBCDriver\OracleODBC
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Siemens\User Data Access\23.6\ODBCDriver\Cache
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Siemens\User Data Access\23.6\FrontEnd
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Siemens\User Data Access\23.6\ErrorProcessing
HKCU\Software\Siemens\User Data Access\23.6\TimeOut

Attached Files

Doug Paida

Doug Paida
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 18:05

You can forget about this issue. We were able to figure out what was going on, and it basically came down to the fact that an old version of the MSI file was being invoked. When we ran the new one, everything was fine. Thanks very much for your willingness to help.

Doug Paida