This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom upgrade message (IS11)

6 replies to this topic

MikeAshton

MikeAshton
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 14:35

Hi,

I really hope somebody can help me out here.

I am using InstallShield 11 (MSI) and I want to remind the user to perform a backup of their database prior to performing a minor upgrade of our software.

Do you know whether this can be done? A message box popping up before they commit to the upgrade would suffice.

Thanks
Mike.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 17:22

I'd suggest calling the MessageBox() function

MikeAshton

MikeAshton
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:24

At which point can I call it though? I'm new to InstallShield and can't seem to find an appropriate handler/don't know much about custom actions.

Thanks.
Mike.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:58

I'd say the OnUpdateUIBefore() event handler would be a good place. Do you know how to add the event handler default code to your script view and modify it?

MikeAshton

MikeAshton
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 13:00

Thanks for your prompt reply Stefan.

No, I don't know how to add the default code. I did a quick Google search but I couldn't find it. What do I have to do?

Cheers.
Mike.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 17:52

In the script view at the top of the right hand window you'll see two drop down boxes. Select "Before Move Data" in the left box and then "OnUpdateUIBefore" from the right box. I'm not sure if that entry exists in your version 11 - if not select "onMaintUIBefore" instead. This will paste the default function code of the resperctive event handler in your script window. You can now customize this code, by inserting the MessageBox call in the appropriate position.

MikeAshton

MikeAshton
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 17:55

Thanks Stefan. I'll give this a go! smile.gif