This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Reboot During Install

6 replies to this topic

maverix

maverix
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 14:38

Hi,
I have a requirement which I have seen in other setups, but am unable to implement.

I need to uninstall one application, reboot, and continue the setup when the user logs on, and install another application.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 14:48

I have never done this, but have you checked out the AFTERREBOOT property? http://msdn.microsof...ot_property.asp
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

maverix

maverix
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 15:19

Thanks for the quick response.

The ForceReboot will ensure that the system gets rebooted - but my requirement is to start the setup automatically on logon.

Check the link on the InstallShield site:
http://support.insta...ticleid=Q105877

Even if I attempt the Startup folder option as described in this support article, the link is set wrongly.

My approach is to set the RunOnce key with the path to the Setup file before calling the , but I am unable to set the path of the Setup file in the registry.

Is there a way for me to retrieve the path of the setup file? The SRCDIR variable provides the path to the MSI file, but not the setup.exe file.

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 15:56

You said you tried to use the STartup folder, but the link was set wrong. How was is wrong?
Also, how are you trying to set the path in the RunOnce key?

Why don't you show us the code, and we can see if there is something wrong.

Places where I''ve screwed up before:
Forgetting the double slashes "\\" between folders
Forgetting the drive designation
Give ing the path, but not the name of the file.
Et al, far to numerous to mention smile.gif

Edited by Xitch13, 27 July 2004 - 15:58.

There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

maverix

maverix
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 16:32

Yup - have ensured all these slips have not happened.

The problem I am facing is that the SRCDIR Directory is pointing to the location where the MSI is placed - <WINNT>\Uninstall\<Product Code> Directory.

I also found the SETUPEXEDIR variable in Windows Installer API's - but not sure how to use that in the script.

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 16:49

Alright. You said you needed to uninstall one application reboot, then install a new application.

I assumed (bad thing to do) that you had a beginning installer(A) that started, then called the uninstall script(cool.gif for the application you needed uninstalled, then came back(A) and set up the shortcut for the third install© to be run on reboot, then the first install(A) forced a reboot. Is this the case? If not, what are you If this is the case and the SRCDIR is set to the uninstall script, try setting the shortcut before you call the uninstall script. If this is not the architecure you're using, let me know.
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

maverix

maverix
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 17:09

Though my idea was to have all the scripts in a single setup, your post gave me a better idea to have one setup inside another. This will solve the problem, since I will be copying the second setup file to a location known to the first, and I can populate the registry correctly.

Thanks