This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI to MSM

6 replies to this topic

DhirenC

DhirenC
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 08:13

I have a setup in MSI of the third party software. I want to integrate that one in my MSI and it will be based on the user selection while installing.

How to create an MSM (merge module file) from that MSI of third party setup ?

Thanks in advance.
Dhiren

abowman

abowman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 18:02

I also have this issue. Did you ever figure out how to create a MSM from a 3rd party MSI?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:33

Using InstallShield X for instance, you could create an empty merge module project, then open the MSI file and export components from the MSI file to the merge module project.
Note that there are some limitations with merge modules: They can't include features, using custom actions requires some additional modifications, and you shouldn't have dialogs in merge modules. Also if the original manufacturer releases an update for their product you cannot install it. Instead you have to update the merge module and publish an update for your own product.
Therefore in most cases it is not recommended to convert and MSI to an MSM. Microsoft has decided to no longer provide merge modules to install MSDE for instance, and instead only provides an MSI. The suggested method is to use a launcher exe that will run the two MSIs sequentially.

russellperry

russellperry
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 18:04

Stefan, Is this still the recommended method? I need to distribute the MS Office 2003 PIAs with a PowerPoint add-in.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:03

You can still export components from an MSI project to a MSM project.

MSDE should not be installed as MSM but by running the MSDE setup from a launcher. Same applies to SQL Server Express (which isn't available as MSMs in the first place) and other third party software. This enables the third party package to be serviced independently from your application, e.g. security hotfixes. A launcher is the only recommended way to chain multiple msi setups.

Any redistributables from a third party vendor like Microsoft should be installed in the package they provide. Don't try to extract the components from these packages. You would lose the advantage of independent servicing, and typically this would also be a violation of the EULA.

russellperry

russellperry
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 14:48

Ok, thanks Stefan. Do you have any tool recommendations for generating the wrapper exe?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 16:58

Please take a look at the links here:
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1036.htm