This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

cant set unique user/pass for nt services

5 replies to this topic

BeemerBiker

BeemerBiker
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 00:08

Newbie using DevStudio 9 with SP1. Project has 4 .exe services and a couple of apps. Whenever I set a username password for the nt service the username and password is changed for all the other services. I must be doing something wrong, no? I tried using the wizard and adding an nt service but whatever username password I pick the same one is immediately put on the other services.

I googled up on "nt service same password" and looked thru some forums but didnt see any complaints about this. I should be able to select different username/passwords for services correct? All these are one install, we dont want separate installs.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 15:41

You mean the same password is used on other services you install, or on pre-existing services on the target machine?

BeemerBiker

BeemerBiker
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 18:41

Thanks stefan!

The problem occurs with the "install service" dialog box in DevStudio 9. Our project setup installs 4 servers (.exe) into a "services" directory which I named the [INSTALLDIR} There is a "bin" where I put a test handler for testing. Currently, when I select any of the 4 services (under components) and expand the "advanced" to where "user name":xxxx and "password":yyyy show up just above "arguements" whatever xxxx and yyyy i put in shows up in the other 3 components. If I go to any of the other nt services and expand the advanced and put in blank spaces my xxxx and yyyy are replaced by blanks in the other nt service.

This is the first time I have set up a complicated install that has several services. This is also just one part of the project we are building. Maybe I am designed this wrong. I am unsure what installshield means by each component having a feature. If I have "no feature" does that mean that all the components must have the same username password? Googleing around I dont see anyone else reporting what surely would be a major bug so perhaps I am not setting up the project correctly. It would also help to have the latest installshield but that lis out of my control.

Two of these services must run in the background ie: started automatically. The other two are started up when the app starts up and that app has the username password that matches. However, I suspect that using that same password instead of leaving them blank would work. So a workaround would be to just use the same password for all services even though two of them dont need on.

On another subject: Uninstall does not remove the service. I have to execute sc delete <servicename> from the command line. Seems like this should be done automatically.

BeemerBiker

BeemerBiker
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 19:28

Solved: Cockpit error

When I added NT Services I clicked on each component and thought the service name listed was just for that component. I needed to hit insert once for each service I wanted and give a different name to each service. The reason the password was changing was because I was trying to use that one service-name for each component. I discovered that when i noticed that the idstring was the same for all my components.

FWIW, when looking for Service Pack 1 to DevStudio 9, I got an email from macrovision saying I had to pay for support and they had no download available. I googled around and found a url on a Russian site that pointed back to a directory on the old installshield server (before they got bought out) and was able to download the service pack. While DevStudio 9 is old, I broke the seal on the box when installing it so it was new to me. This is part of what I got back from a technical support request:

"Thanks for your message. With respect to your concern, you will need to contact Macrovision Support directly to address your question. DevStudio 9 is an outdated version of our software. I would highly recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of the product in order to ensure you have the functionality to work with today's technology.

If you have a maintenance plan in place, you may access technical support by calling 847-413-2896 or through the website at http://support.insta...d.com/eservice/. Please have your serial number handy when contacting Support. "

I had to guess on the name of their zip file before google got a hit, but I did get the service release after all.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:11

FWIW, when looking for Service Pack 1 to DevStudio 9,

Tools > Check for Updates didn't get you the service pack?

BeemerBiker

BeemerBiker
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 22:06

development system is on secure network and cannot be placed on internet