This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Single user (per user) installation in Vista

3 replies to this topic

brvamshi

brvamshi
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 00:09

I have a dialog in my Install script type of Installer where the user has the option to specify installation for 'single user (this computer only)' or 'All users on this computer'.

When i run this installer on Windows vista (as Standard User) by selecting install only for 'single user', and when i log in as an local admin on that vista machine, i will still be able to open the application.

Ideally the install should have happen only for that Standard User.

Please suggest.
Thanks,
vamshi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:26

How do you open that application as administrator? Do you see a shortcut in the start menu or do you double click the exe file?

brvamshi

brvamshi
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 20:06

Hi,

When i log in as the Admin/any other user, the application shortcut appears in the Start Menu->Programs-"App Name".

When i click on the shortcut, it opens the application.

When i install the application as a Standard user, it creates registry keys in the HKCU\Software\"App Name"

When i log in as a Admin User, i can still see the registry entries in the HKCU\Software\"App Name" which ideally should not be the case.

Not sure, what is going on. Any pointers please?

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 19:24

Open that start menu folder in Explorer (by right clicking in the start menu). There's one for the current user and one for all users. In which of them is the shortcut?
HKCU is only for one user. If you install for user A and then log in as user B I find it hard to believe that the entries exists in user B's HKCU hive. That hive isn't even loaded during the installation. This could only happen in HKCR because part of this is mapped to HKLM.