This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

List patches

4 replies to this topic

kca

kca
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:20

Hi

I have created a vbs file that gets some product info about my installed program.
I'm using WindowsInstaller.Installer and it works perfekt.

But now I want to expand it to show a list of installed patches for that product.
How do I do that?

Regards
Kim

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 19:31

Although I've done a great deal of work with the Installer object, patches are something I've not looked at. Have you seen this? And how about this?

Edited by VBScab, 07 November 2007 - 19:33.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

kca

kca
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:40

Hi
Thanks I've allready looked at that, but I can't figure out how they works. if they work at all..

Kim

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:47

Er, yeah, MS are a company involved in providing software which doesn't work. It's big business, I understand.

My friend, if you won't help yourself, it's hard for others to be motivated to help you.

Load up one of the Office apps, start the VBA editor, reference MSI.DLL and use the Object Browser to find out how that object works. I say to use the Office apps because you already have them, you can experiment in the editor, plus you can hover the mouse over variables and see their content as the code executes. Alternatively, get some other object browser (e.g. ActiveX Explorer) and use that.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

kca

kca
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:25

Yes I know that, but my problem is the missing documentation, and thats why I ask if anybody had figured it how it works.
I have tried it in vb.net to get some intellisence, but it's worth nothing.
I was thinking that I could copy/paste the same code as for products. so my code looks like this:
For Each Hotfix In Installer.Patches(ProdCode)
patch = Installer.PatchInfo(Hotfix, ????)
msgbox(Patch)
Next
According to the little documentation I need to give the attribute, but where do I get a list of attributes? For products there's a nice list, but not for patches, And I tryed to guess them, but no luck.
If I do a msgbox(hotfix) I get the guid code for the patch. so I'm on the right track, but need a list of the available attributes
Kim